top of page

The Subconscious Mind

Updated: Aug 19, 2021

We all have one, but how many of us can really say we know our own minds?

I’m sure you are more than familiar with that incessant, excessive voice in your head which has been referred to as the “inner roommate”, “the monkey brain” or the ego, but behind that, do you know what’s running your thoughts, behaviours and actions?

Remember the downfall of the titanic? That darn iceberg? The iceberg is the perfect analogy to explain the mind. The top of the iceberg that can be seen, makes up 10% of the entire structure, but lurking deep underneath is the remaining 90% which is predominant and overpowering. The 10% represents our conscious mind, while the 90% makes up the subconscious. This is where the theory that we only use and access 10% of our minds comes from.

"The mind is everything. What you think you become"- Buddha
"To a mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders"- Lae Tzu
"Your thoughts are seeds that you plant"- Dr Wayne Dye

These are just some of my favourite quotes, but the list is endless, quote after quote telling us how imperative it is to master our minds and not allow our minds to control us. The mind is meant to be the most incredible PA you’ve ever had. Powerful, efficient, productive and highly intelligent, the most advanced computer system on the planet- a supercomputer sitting inside your head, waiting to unleash its full potential.

Imagine the possibilities that would open up to you if you stopped doubting yourself?

If you removed the fears, phobias and addictions that have kept you blocked and stuck? Imagine being able to enjoy positive dialogue with yourself rather than being your own worst critic?

Mental health issues such as depression and anxiety are at an all-time high because most people are victims of their own minds. The harsh, critical dialogue that we have with ourselves daily creates negative thoughts and emotions which in turn affects our behaviour and actions. We are guilty of being our very own judge, jury and jailer, as self-sabotaging thoughts and limiting beliefs hold us back from becoming the best possible versions of ourselves and unlocking our unique potential.

Childhood and the subconscious